Destroyed by owner, 1860
(1842 - 1860) Wheat
(1842 - 1860) Corn
(1841 - 1842)
Clemens Uptmor, Sr.
Clemens Uptmor, Sr. (1842 - 1860)
History of the Mill
In September 1834, Clemens Uptmor and family arrived in America from the Netherlands. The Uptmors originally immigrated to Missouri; however, upon discovering the practice of slavery, they moved to Quincy, IL and then on to what would become Teutopolis in 1839.
There he established the family farm; one year later, he built a general store; and then, not long thereafter, began construction of his windmill along with his brother, Henry. Without the presence of a saw mill, all of the carpentry was done by hand. The mill opened in 1842.
The mill was a great success and hailed by the people both of and near Teutopolis. The four-story mill only had one run-of-stone, but in favorable winds could grind 150 barrels per day—and that despite the presence of a hand-cranked (as opposed to wind-driven) bolting machine. The windmill was successful until the construction of a nearby steam roller mill in 1857; three years later, in May 1860, the windmill was shut down and destroyed.
Perrin, William Henry. History of Effingham County, Illinois. O. L. Baskin & Company, 1883.
Illinois Catholic Historical Review. Illinois Catholic Historical Society, 1920