Schmidt Bros. Windmill

Benson Mill

Status

Destroyed

 

Tower Height

56'

 

Sail Span

72' (approximate)

 

Uses

(1873 - ?) Wheat

(1873 - ?) Rye

(1873 - ?) Feed

 

Constructed

(1872 - 1873)

 

Millwrights

J. M. Schmidt and brother

 

Owners

J. M. Schmidt and brother (1872 - ?)

F. H. Thielen (? - ?)

J. H. Monk (? - ?)

Source

 

  • Moore, Roy.  History of Woodford County.  Eureka, Illinois: Woodford County Republican, 1910.

The Schmidt Brothers Windmill.

Photo from Paul van den Berg 

History of the Mill

 

A lack of powerful streams near Benson led to the construction of this windmill in 1872.  The Dutch mill was completed a year later at a cost of $10,000.  Built, owned, and operated by the Schmidt brothers, the mill operated three run of stone, grinding wheat, rye, and feed.  The mill changed hands over the years and was eventually destroyed. 

 

Because of its similarities in construction to the Prairie Mills in Golden, the town of Benson offered to purchase the mill in 1985, disassemble it, and relocate it in a park near where the Schmidt Brothers’ windmill stood.  The town of Golden refused the sale, however, and chose to restore the Prairie Mills.

Email your questions or comments to info@illinoiswindmills.org

Copyright 2005 - 2020 by Thomas Haskell

Illinois Windmills is intended for personal and educational use only. 

Commercial use is strictly prohibited without consent from the author.

 

Illinois Windmills is not, in any manner, affiliated with the windmills, millwrights, companies, organizations, publishers, libraries, historical societies,

cities, authors, or people mentioned in this site.