Email your questions or comments to info@illinoiswindmills.org

Copyright 2005 - 2020 by Thomas Haskell

Illinois Windmills is intended for personal and educational use only. 

Commercial use is strictly prohibited without consent from the author.

 

Illinois Windmills is not, in any manner, affiliated with the windmills, millwrights, companies, organizations, publishers, libraries, historical societies,

cities, authors, or people mentioned in this site.

Gronewold Windmill

Section 31 of Northeast Township
Golden, IL 62339

Status

Destroyed by owner.

 

Sail Span

20'

 

Uses

(1865 - ?) Feed

 

Constructed

(? - 1865)

 

Millwright

William W. Gronewold

 

Owners

William B. Schoon (1865 - ?)

L. U. Albers (1865 - ?)

History of the Mill

 

Only known history:   “In 1865, William B. Schoon and L. U. Albers had a little flour mill built, with a wing span of 20 feet, on a few acres of ground they had bought from Jurgen Garrel, in the north edge of town and west of the Wabash R.R.  This windmill was constructed by William W. Gronewold.  It was used exclusively for grinding feed for stock.  It has since been torn down.” 

 

Source

 

  • Wienke, Anna.  When the Wind Blows... Golden, IL: Taylor Publishing Company, 1998.