Destroyed by owner
Luther Jefferson (1841 - ?)
Only known history is that one of the founders of Des Plaines, Luther
Jefferson, operated a farm along the Des Plaines River south of Oakton
Street, and in 1841 he began operating a windmill, which was “soon
replaced” by a large water mill. At present, not much is known
about Jefferson’s windmill. Nearly all of the descriptions and
evidence of a windmill ever being present near Des Plaines is mistaken
Brockman Windmill in Schiller Park (with its unmistakable tail fan
in the cap). Some sources say that Jefferson’s was converted from
a grain mill to a saw mill to aid railroad construction; other sources
state just the opposite.
In 1992, a commemorative jar with what was supposedly Jefferson’s windmill depicted on it was actually Brockman’s windmill from an old 1900s postcard.
-Chicago Fact Book Consortium. Local Community Factbook: Chicago Metropolitan Area. Chicago: Chicago Review Press, 1985