(1873 - ?) Wheat
(1873 - ?) Rye
(1873 - ?) Feed
(1872 - 1873)
J. M. Schmidt and brother
J. M. Schmidt and brother (1872 - ?)
F. H. Thielen (? - ?)
J. H. Monk (? - ?)
A lack of powerful streams near Benson led to the construction of
this windmill in 1872. The Dutch mill was completed a year later
at a cost of $10,000. Built, owned, and operated by the Schmidt
brothers, the mill operated three run of stone, grinding wheat, rye, and
feed. The mill changed hands over the years and was eventually
Because of its similarities in construction to the Prairie Mills Windmill in Golden, IL the town of Benson offered to purchase the mill in 1985, disassemble it, and relocate it in a park near where the Schmidt Brothers’ windmill stood. The town of Golden refused the sale, however, and chose to restore the Prairie Mills Windmill.
-Moore, Roy. History of Woodford County. Eureka, Illinois: Woodford County Republican, 1910.